Friday 25 February 2011

Busy.

Hey Kids.

I've been very busy recently, and so bookish things have been put to one side recently. One thing that's been making me busy is my new job in a bookshop. Hurrah!

However, I have not been so busy that I haven't found the time to shop. Oh no. I found Graham Swift's Shuttlecock for 50p in a book exchange in Notting Hill recently (not realising until later than it won the Booker Prize - so it baffles me that Gower St Waterstone's didn't have a copy - as I found out on an extended, leisurely, Friday break from Joyce). Followers of this blog might have picked up on my Swift love. Today I bought a copy of Jonathon Safran Foer's Eating Animals, in the hope that it'll provide some sort of moral impetus to turn to vegetarianism. It has an HFW quotation on the front, proving that I am as much a sucker for celebrity promotion as the next girl.

On JSF: if anyone reading this fancies buying me a nice, expensive birthday present, you couldn't do better than his newest title Tree of Codes. It looks just amazing. £25 (RRP; note Amazon price of £15.56) seems a bit steep, given that most of the pages are cut out, but I'm hoping the intellectual experience might be worth it.

And on that note, if you do buy it, please - do so from a shop. Please. Bookshops are infinitely better than the internet/Amazon. I will go into why in a later post. (Yes, I know I direct all the links to amazon, but that's only for the 'look inside!' feature. Honestly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment