Saturday 29 September 2012

Book Slam 27/9/2012


On Thursday night I went to Book Slam. Book Slam is a monthly literary event hosted at The Tabernacle, in Notting Hill. 

It was a lovely evening. We arrived, had lovely wine (the staff are very friendly) and ate yummy sausage and mash (£5 a bowl, which you’re allowed to take up to the performance area with you). They play good music while you’re arriving, and the lighting is such that it’s pretty dark yet light up in the right places so that everyone looks beautiful and engaging. My sort of place.

First up was the MC, Charlie Dark, who is a lovely, lovely man with infectious enthusiasm. We did one of those cringey ice breaking things, but thankfully he doesn’t seem to be a huge fan of audience participation. That’s what I look for in a comedy host.

Poet 1 of the evening was Mr Mark Grist. Known by teenage boys throughout the land, apparently. He used to be a teacher before leaving the profession to be a full time poet. He’s on youtube here and here and here. He did some great poems - ‘‘The best of all the gingers’’ and a paean to childhood love Beth Builder stick in my mind especially.

Singer 1 of the evening was Josh Kumra and his videos can be seen here. At first I thought he was just a generic singer/songwriter but then he played his next single and I changed my mind. I was very impressed by his drummer doing backing falsetto vocals too. His bass player was good too. His single will be out in January.

Poet 2 of the evening was showstopper Simon Armitage. I’ve been a fan of his since the wonderful collection Kid. He was promoting his new book, Walking home: travels with a troubadour on the Penine Way , about walking, unsurprisingly, the Penine Way. He’s a wonderful reader: droll, confident, wry. He’s got great stage presence, and he’s very funny. A top chap. He mentioned one review that labelled him the Eeyore of Walking, to which Simon quipped ‘I didn’t think I was that happy’, and I don’t think it’s a brilliant comparison. He’s miserable but insightful, for sure. But Simon does it in a self-aware way, whereas Eeyore is a bit more self-centered. ANYWAY. A beautiful book, a wonderful chap. I was saddened only that he didn’t perform any poetry from Kid, which is an excellent collection.

Get yourself down to the next Book Slam: details here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment